PALM OIL - WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT TO DO IF YOUR DOG EATS SOME
There have been more reports of Palm oil being found around the beaches of Pembrokeshire this summer.
Palm oil is a vegetable oil used in processed foods and toiletries. Large ships may use palm oil as a tank cleaning agent, and so many of the toxic effects come from the diesel and chemical contaminants rather than the oil itself.
If seen on our beaches it appears as a yellow, white, black or orange pebble like waxy substance. It may smell of diesel or toxic chemicals.
Palm oil washes up on beaches when ships discharge residue into the sea, or after marine incidents such as collisions and accidents where the hull of the ship is broached.
While palm oil itself is not that poisonous to dogs, it does have a laxative effect, and if eaten, can cause sickness, diarrhoea, dehydration and sometimes severe, pancreatitis. It can also cause a blockage if large lumps are eaten. Some dogs will become seriously unwell due to the toxins from the ships rather than the oil itself.
If you have concerns that your dog may have eaten a lump of the oil, then please contact us for advice. We may advise that you come in for an injection to encourage the lump of oil to be vomited up before it causes any issue. This is generally best done within an hour of ingestion. Treatment is otherwise supportive. If in doubt, make an appointment and get your pet checked sooner rather than later.