Haverfordwest: 01437 762806
  /  Pembroke: 01646 622010
  /  Farm: 01437 762511  /  24 Hr: 01437 762806
Skip to main content

Pet Travel To Europe


From 1 January 2021 onwards, the UK will have Part 2 listed status under the EU Pet Travel Scheme, meaning that people travelling from GB with their pets and assistance dogs will need to follow new requirements in order to travel to the EU and Northern Ireland.

We encourage you to check out the latest government advice about travelling from Great Britain to Northern Ireland or the European Union with your pets at the end of the transition period.

Find the latest information here

Pet travel to Europe from 1 January 2021 - GOV.UK


Animal Health Certificates (AHC)

Under Part 2 listed status, EU pet passports issued by GB Official Veterinarians (OVs) will no longer be valid to travel to Europe or Northern Ireland. Instead, a pet travelling from GB to the EU or to Northern Ireland will need an AHC from 1 January 2021. Please note, this would affect any travellers with pets arriving in an EU Member State after 23:00 GMT on the 31 December 2020. This will also apply to travel Northern Ireland.


Travelling to the EU or NI with your pet

A current EU pet passport issued in GB will not be valid for travel to the EU or NI from 1 January 2021.

Before your dog, cat or ferret can travel to the EU or NI for the first time after 1 January 2021, you’ll need to take the following steps. These steps are similar to the current process for taking your pet to the EU, but you’ll need an animal health certificate (AHC) instead of a pet passport.

  1. You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped.

  2. Vaccinate your dog, cat or ferret against rabies – your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated.

  3. Wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before travel.

  4. Visit us to get an AHC for your pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU.

Find out more about rabies vaccination boosters and blood tests.

As long as you keep your pet’s rabies vaccinations up to date, you will not need to get repeat vaccinations for repeat trips to the EU or NI.


Getting an animal health certificate (AHC)

You must also bring your pet to us no more than 10 days before travel to get an AHC. The AHC needs to be signed by an official vet. We have official veterinary surgeons at the practice trained to issue AHC’s.

Your pet’s AHC will be valid for:

  • 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU or NI
  • onward travel within the EU or NI for 4 months after the date of issue
  • re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue

If you are travelling outside the EU then additional tests may be required and we would recommend planning your journey at least 4 months prior to your expected departure date.

Rules and regulation may change depending on ongoing negotiations and we recommend checking the website below regularly for any updates.


Find out more about how this website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience.

  Have an emergency? (24 Hr Service): 01437 762806     Pet Health Club Repeat Prescriptions Book Online

Contact Numbers

Small Animals
01437 762806

Farm Animals
01437 762511

24 Hour Emergency
(Pembroke Dock)
01646 622010

Prescriptions Book Online