In this section
Post Mortem Project
Following the successful XLVet pilot in Staffordshire, we are now offering a post mortem service through the Fallen Stock Scheme. This service is available to anyone, not just Fenton Vets’ clients.
It is designed to be a useful addition to the VLA Carmarthen, as an easier approach to organising the Post Mortem of cattle and sheep, whose deaths may not otherwise be investigated. All of the vets involved in the Post Mortem Project have had further training by the AHVLA. The system is quite simple, especially if you are a member of the Fallen Stock scheme.
- Telephone Goddards and Sons and request a Post Mortem
- Goddards will pick up the carcass and contact us (or Allen and Partners on Thursdays) to perform a Post Mortem at the Collection Centre
- We will report back to our clients, or, in the case of non-clients, directly to the farmers’ own Vets
- We will use our discretion regarding the use of further tests (further expense), or in the case of non-clients liaise with the farmers’ Veterinary Practice (further lab work will be billed directly to the relevant practice)
- The cost of the Post Mortem (excluding further tests) will be automatically added to the Fallen Stock Scheme bill (direct debit).
This service increases the number of Post Mortems performed, thus improving diagnostics on a farm level as well as collation of data as a whole for use in regional and national surveillance.