In this section
DIY AI Workshops
Trainees will be able to discuss the regulations concerning AI, as well as the theory behind semen storage and handling, and the theory behind practical AI. This leads onto practical sessions, firstly using post mortem specimens, and then supervised practice on live cows.
- Know the Regulations regarding AI in the UK
- Know the structure and function of a semen storage flask, including safe handling
- Know the theory of AI technique
- Know the key anatomical features of the reproductive tract in the abattoir specimens
- Prepare and load an AI gun
- Be able to correctly identify the key anatomical landmarks on rectal palpation
- Carry out correct AI technique in a live cow, relating this to the theory
- Achieve a level of competence DEFRA certified by an instructor
There are also opportunities for qualified inseminators to come on refresher courses. This may suit seasonal calvers, or those that had little opportunity to carry out AI after their course.
Please remember that all of our instructors are LANTRA approved and so courses qualify for 80% funding through Farming Connect. Extra discounts apply if you supply the cows and the venue!