Haverfordwest: 01437 762806
  /  Pembroke: 01646 622010
  /  Farm: 01437 762511  /  24 Hr: 01437 762806
Skip to main content

Brexit Pet Travel/Passport


The Government’s Withdrawal Agreement Bill has now been agreed by Parliament and received Royal Assent, so the UK will leave the European Union on 31 January 2020 and then enter a transition period until 31 December 2020. During the transition period, pet owners will be able to continue to travel with their pets in the same way as they do now (using a Pet Passport) until the end of 2020, as there are no immediate changes to the process.

Pet owners that don’t have a current UK–issued EU Pet Passport, will need to speak to their vet.

More information is available on GOV.UK, and if you intend to travel we recommend you keep up to date with the most recent advice on the government website.

At the moment, in order to travel you MUST HAVE

  1. A Microchip
  2. Rabies vaccination
  3. A pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate.

We strongly recommend you also have a blood test taken at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination and to start making preparations to travel at least 4 months ahead of time.

These regulations apply to travel within the EU. Other restrictions and tests may be necessary for travel to /from other countries

About the author

Fenton Vets

Find out more about how this website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience.

  Have an emergency? (24 Hr Service): 01437 762806     Pet Health Club Repeat Prescriptions Book Online

Contact Numbers

Small Animals
01437 762806

Farm Animals
01437 762511

24 Hour Emergency
(Pembroke Dock)
01646 622010

Prescriptions Book Online