Skip to the content

Brexit Pet Travel/Passport


The Government’s Withdrawal Agreement Bill has now been agreed by Parliament and received Royal Assent, so the UK will leave the European Union on 31 January 2020 and then enter a transition period until 31 December 2020. During the transition period, pet owners will be able to continue to travel with their pets in the same way as they do now (using a Pet Passport) until the end of 2020, as there are no immediate changes to the process.

Pet owners that don’t have a current UK–issued EU Pet Passport, will need to speak to their vet.

More information is available on GOV.UK, and if you intend to travel we recommend you keep up to date with the most recent advice on the government website.

At the moment, in order to travel you MUST HAVE

  1. A Microchip
  2. Rabies vaccination
  3. A pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate.

We strongly recommend you also have a blood test taken at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination and to start making preparations to travel at least 4 months ahead of time.

These regulations apply to travel within the EU. Other restrictions and tests may be necessary for travel to /from other countries

About the author

Fenton Vets

Havefordwest Practice

Fenton Vets

21 Portfield, 
Pembrokeshire SA61 1BN


Small Animals:
(01437) 762806
Farm Animals:
(01437) 762511

Pemboke Dock Practice

Fenton Vets

Unit B,
London Road Shopping Mall,
Kingswood Trading Estate,
London Road,
Pembroke Dock,
SA72 4RS


Tel: (01646) 622010

Fenton Veterinary Practice

Get in touch

If you have any questions don't hesitate to get in touch with our friendly veterinary team.